The United States is full of automobiles(机动车) .There are still many families without cars. But some families have two or 1 more. However, cars are used for 2 than pleasure. They are a 3 part of life.
Cars are 4 for business. They are driven to offices and factories by workers who have no 5 way to get to their jobs. When salesmen are sent to 6 parts of the city, they have to drive in order to carry their products. Farmers have to drive into the city in order to get home.
Sometimes small children must be driven to 7 . In some cities school buses are used only when children live more than a mile from the school. When the children are 8 young to walk that far, their mothers take 9 to drive them to school One 10 drives on Mondays, taking her children and the neighbours children as well. Another mother drives on Tuesdays, another on Wednesdays, and so on. This is called forming a car pool. Men also form car pools, with three or four men taking turns driving to the place 11 they work.
More car pools should be formed in order to put 12 motorcars on the road and to use less 13 . Parking is a great problem, and so is the traffic in and around cities. 14 many cars are being driven,. Something will have to be done 15 the use of cars.
1. A. even B. much C. little D. such
2. A. better B. less C. more D. farther
3. A. great B. necessary C. proper D. possible
4. A. bought B. used C. produced D. sold
5. A. other B. long C. short D. easy
6. A. busy B. some C. many D. different
7. A. cities B. school C. park D. gardens
8. A. quite B. very C. too D. so
9. A. money B. time C. pride D. turns
10. A. mother B. child C. way D. car
11.A. where B. that C. while D. when
12. A. more B. fewer C. many D. less
13. A. time B. space C. energy D. oil
14. A. So B. Even C. Very D. Such
15. A. on B. for C. from D. about
1. A.。因为后面有一个比较级more, 比较级前面加上much, a little, even, still 等词用来较为准确说明比较时相差的程度。如果比较级more修饰可数名词复数，则 more前不可用much修饰.表示程度。
2. C。用 more than pleasure 说明车子不只是用来享受，还有其他的用途。
5. A。have no other way意思是“没有其它的办法”。
8. C。too… to为固定结构，表示“太……而不能”。
9. D。根据下文可知，母亲们轮流接送小孩，由此推断，take turns（依次、轮流）符合文意。
10. A。下文有another mother 提示。
13. D。车辆使用率低，耗油就少， oil不可数，故用less修饰。
14. A。交代前一句的原因：这么多的车辆行驶。many, much, few, little前用so修饰。