There was once a millionaire who loved money than anything else in the world. He didn’t know exactly how much he had, so he took on a little girl to __1__ all his money for him.
It __2__ the little girl six days to count all the money. When she told the millionaire that he had forty-two __3__ dollars, he was __4__ with joy and asked, “ How much __5__ do you want?” He thought that __6__ she was only a child, he could __7__ her into taking a very small amount of money.
The girl said, “well, I worked for six days, so I think you __8__ pay me for six days. Give me two pennies for the first day. Each day after that, just give me the amount you give me the day before, multiplied by itself.
The __9__ thought that in this __10__ he would only have to give her a __11__ dollars. What a __12__ little girl! So immediately, he __13__ his lawyer sign up the contract, fearing that she would change her __14__ .
On the first day the millionaire paid her two pennies, and on the second day, two pennies times two pennies, or four pennies.
Each day after that, he gave her __15__ number of pennies he had given her the day before, multiplied by itself. And by the sixth day, the foolish millionaire had to give the clever little girl all his money.
1. A. bring B. count C. send D. hide
2. A. had B. needed C. got D. took
3. A. million B. dozen C. thousand D. hundred
4. A. pride B. wild C. surprised D. moved
5. A. dollars B. number C. time D. pay
6. A. as if B. though C. if D. because
7. A. warn B. advise C. cheat D. set
8. A. could B. would C. should D. might
9. A. girl B. millionaire C. two D. people
10. A. measure B. way C. point D. means
11. A. few B. little C. less D. much
12. A. nice B. clever C. fine D. foolish
13. A. ordered B. asked C. had D. persuaded
14. A. mind B. heart C. word D. plan
15. A. good B. great C. a D. the
2．D。根据it takes sb. some time to do sth.结构判断答案用D。
4．B。be wild with joy意为“欣喜若狂”，表示the man当时的心情。
7．C。由the man 的心理及前面的only a child推知，此时想“欺骗”那个女孩。
10．B。in this way为固定短语。
13．C。have sb. do sth.意为“让某人做某事”。其余三词后面的动词不定式都要加to。
14．A。change one’s mind意为“改变主意”。
15．D。the number of表示“……的数目”，而a number of表示“许多……”。